Redmi Y2 vs Redmi Note 5: Comparison of Budget Phones from Xiaomi
Updated on 2018-06-07 by Geetansh Arora
Xiaomi has launched so many phones in the budget segment that they are competing with themselves now. Redmi Note 5 was launched earlier this year in February and now Xiaomi has launched Redmi Y2 which is next version of last year's Redmi Y1. Both phones are priced close to Rs. 10000 in India and offer good value for money.
Redmi Note 5 is more of an allrounder and performs well in all departments. Redmi Y2, on the other hand, is a camera phone with some compromises in other departments. Both have a lot in common so let's first take a look at what's same and then we will see the differences.
1. Both Redmi Y2 and Redmi Note 5 have same 6-inch display size, both are made of metal and build quality is good in both.
2. The processor is Snapdragon 625 in both phones and both come in 2 variants: 3GB RAM 32GB Storage and 4GB RAM 64GB Storage.
3. Both phones have the same MIUI skin based on Android. The Redmi Y2 comes with MIUI 9.5 which is based on Android 8.1 while Redmi Note 5 is still on MIUI 9 Android 7.1 and will be soon upgraded to MIUI 9.5.
So these things are same on Redmi Y2 and Redmi Note 5: Display size, processor, RAM, Storage, Software.
1. Both phones have same display sizes but the resolution of displays are different. Redmi Note 5 has a Full HD+ 1080p display while the latest Redmi Y2 comes with an HD+ 720p display.
2. The next big difference is in camera setup. The Redmi Note 5 comes with a 12MP rear camera and 5MP front camera. The Redmi Y2 comes with a 12MP+5MP dual rear camera and 16MP front camera. The camera performance of Redmi Note 5 is good but it is a lot better on Redmi Y2. You can take nice portrait mode shots with both rear and front cameras of Redmi Y2.
3. Inside, Redmi Note 5 has a large 4000 mAh battery. While the Redmi Y2 comes with a 3080 mAh battery. Both phones come with same 5V 2A chargers. Redmi Note 5 battery would last for around 1.5 days on medium usage and Redmi Y2 would last for a day only.
4. Pricing of the lower 3GB-32GB variant is Rs. 9999 for both these smartphones. The higher 4GB-64GB variant of Redmi Note 5 would cost you 11999 and the same variant of Redmi Y2 will cost you 12999. So, the higher variant of Redmi Y2 will cost you 1000 more for same storage and RAM.
Now let's take a look at the comparison of pros cons, specs, features, ratings of Redmi Y2 and Redmi Note 5.
Redmi Y2 Features
- 3 GB RAM | 32 GB ROM
- 6" HD+ Display 720p
- Rear Camera: 12MP+5MP Dual
- Front Camera: 16MP
- 3080 mAh Battery
- Best Price Rs. 9999
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Features
- 3 GB RAM | 32 GB ROM
- 6" Full HD+ Display 1080p
- Rear Camera: 12MP
- Front Camera: 5MP
- 4000 mAh Battery
- Best Price Rs. 10710